29 August 2012

Has it really been a whole week? It took one entirely sleepless night, but I think I'm finally over jet lag. I have a lot to post about, but I just wanted to mention one thing. I found the most marvelous place to eat last week, and have gone back several times for lunch and dinner to go. It's just down the street, and this is what I got for my first lunch there:


Two kalamakia (sticks), a slice of lemon, tomatoes, onions, and brain. The kalamaki on the bottom is obviously chicken, but what's that one on the top? That's right, it's haloumi/χαλούμι!!! THE SQUEAKY CHEESE, IT IS ON A STICK. Haloumi is one of the things that I always miss most about Greece - you can get it at Whole Foods, but it's stupidly expensive. And I actually don't see it in too many places in Greece. But right here, two blocks from my flat, there's a souvlaki shop that has it for a mere 1,90 euro per stick. Heaven is salty, squeaky cheese on a stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment